Here are my go-to crystals when working with the Root Chakra:
- Red Tiger Eye: The strands of golden hue you see in the Red Tiger Eye are like family or tribal DNA that you can pull together in a gentle and supporting way.
- Garnet: This is a gentle stone and very effecting for calming, soothing and grounding. It grounds the spirit within the body. Increases ability to work lovingly in the physical plane. Energizes and regenerates the body. Its energy is gentle enough for working with children and inner child issues.
- Hematite: Used for grounding and protection. Strengthens our connection with the earth, making us feel safe and secure. It endows us with courage, strength, endurance and vitality. When magnetized, works to balance the meridians within the body and to provide a stable equilibrium between the ethereal nervous system and the physical nervous system. It focuses energy and emotions for balance between the body, mind and spirit. Also, it dissolves negativity and prevents you from absorbing the negativity of others. I often carried a large hematite with me when working in cubicle world to help transmute negative energy!
- Black Tourmaline: Brings you back into your body - quickly but gently. Perfect for children, sensitive souls and those people experiencing deep emotional turmoil. It also anchors you into your Earth Star Chakra (about 12 to 18 inches below your feet) and keeps your Earth Star Chakra open and connected into the earth.
- Green Aventurine: Aids in relieving feelings of overwhelm, broken-hearted, exhaustion and depression. Linked to both Earth and the Heart Chakra, it lifts up the spirit and makes space for increased joy. It helps us to remember that we are in a body (as opposed to living bogged down in feelings or emotions) and it is very healing for the nervous system, lymph and circulation.
- Mookite: Calms and nurtures the connection between emotions and body. Vibrates with the Root and Sacral chakras. Helps establish a shield of protection. Brings vitality and joy, and helps us be in the present moment.
- Smokey Quartz: As a root chakra stone, smoky quartz enhances survival instincts, and can help one reach personal and business goals. It is also used in assisting in making wishes come true by grounding their essence in reality. Thus, it is a stone that brings abundance, prosperity, and good luck. Helps elevate moods and overcome negative emotions. Encourages courage and inner strength.
OTHER MAGICAL TOOLS
- Your body! Clap your hands, stomp your feet, hug a tree. Involving your body in your clearing work will help you embody the new energies. It will help you get out of your mind and thoughts, and integrate the new vibrational state of being that you desire.
- Drums and percussion instruments.
- Anoint a red with your favourite essential oil.
- Gather beautiful writing paper and a great pen or pencil.
- Play grounding music, with a soft drumbeat.
- Have your favourite crystal next to you, and hold it in your hands for a few moments as you centre your energy.
- When you're ready, light your candle with a prayer of gratitude for the Earth who supports and nourishes you.
- Place your hands near your Root Chakra and imagine a beautiful, ruby-red light shining from your hands and nourishing your chakra. Breathe deeply down to your belly for a few minutes.
- Take pen and paper, and write down a situation you would like healed. This could be something from your past that you wish released. It could be anxiety about your financial situation. It could be a relationship with a family member. Simply write down what might be blocking the flow of energy in your Root Chakra.
- When you feel complete, you might want to fold this paper and put it either in a red envelope or a small box.
- As soon as possible, give your paper to the Earth: this can be in a garden pot inside your home or on your patio; between the roots of a tree; in your garden... Find the earthy place that feels right and release your worries and intentions to the Earth. Meditate and breathe deeply for a few more minutes. Feel gratitude with the trust that the spirit of the Earth is listening to your prayer and will guide you in this journey.
- Complete this spell with a thank you to Earth, and all spirits who are assisting you in the manifestation of your request.
- Shake it off, breathe deeply, and come back to the physical plane!
Include movement in your life, every day! Movement will help you move the energy; it will help your ego deal with any stress created from your participation in this transformational program; and it will help you remove any blockages or patterns stuck in your physical body.
At the Root Chakra, I recommend taking frequent walks in nature, walking barefoot, as well as massaging your feet, legs and hips. Use sweet almond oil or coconut oil, with a few drops of your favourite essential oil to add texture and depth to this experience!
I also recommend the following yoga poses, which you can practice at home. They are easy to find on YouTube. My favourite channels are Yoga With Adrienne, and the Yoga Journal.
- Mountain pose
- Tree pose
- Squat pose
- Seated forward bend
- Triangle pose
Supporting your bones, joints and muscles
Your Root Chakra governs the health of your bones, joints and muscles, and all the physical "building blocks" of your body. Remember that your body is the temple for your soul, so it's important to care for it with love and compassion! Stay hydrated (a minimum of 1L of water a day; more in summer and hot climate). Rest well. Nourish your body - as opposed to "just eating" - and because our food supply often lacks essential nutrients, or because at times we're too busy, tired, or distracted to ensure proper nutrition, it's a good idea to take supplements.
I work with DoTerra, a company I admire for the care and compassion they put in every product, in their team, and in the communities they serve around the world. They offer great supplements which include essential oils. Take a look at their blog HERE, and let me know if you have questions or if you're ready to purchase their products: I'll set you up!
This video was a Facebook Live oracle reading (which I do on the first of every month). In this video, I talk about animal totems - the energy of animals and animal spirits vibrate well with the Root Chakra, because they are guides to instincts and how to be and live on this beautiful planet. Their wisdom is always grounded.